Thursday, March 14, 2013

Birmingham Museum of Art

I teach intellectually gifted 4th graders. One of our novel studies is My Dog Skip and another is Chasing Vermeer. I had been researching Johannes Vermeer and George Rodrigue Blue Dog paintings to visit, and one of these was supposed to be here - I just couldn't remember which one.  When we got to the museum, neither were.  I guess it had been a traveling exhibit.  I was sad that I didn't see either of them, but I enjoyed the rest of the museum.
 On the positive side:
  • It's easy to get to from the interstate.
  • Parking is easy, free (in lot behind museum) or affordable (in the Boutwell Parking Deck) and very close by.
  • It's free (they ask for a donation - your choice but it's worth it) unless there's a blockbuster exhibition.
  • It's cool on a warm summer day.
On the negative side:
     Ummm, can't think of anything.  Maybe that it's closed on Mondays.

  
Lovely sculpture garden outside the museum





 There's a restaurant in the museum - Oscar's at the Museum.  We didn't eat here because we had plans to eat at The Magic City Grill, but there was a large crowd and it smelled yummy!!
It's a wonderful place to spend a few hours.
For more information:  http://www.artsbma.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment